Yes, Life is Tough

"Success is to be measured not so much by the positions that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he/she has overcome." Booker T. Washington, American educator (1856-1915).

Young family in a temporary bind

Believe in Yourself

The staff and contributors to the El Puente Charitable Foundation believe in empowering people to believe in themselves, and help themselves. Through a combination of perseverance, determination, luck, sacrifice of non-essential needs,and a hopeful outlook, one can attempt to put the mistakes, accidents, bad luck, bad choices, and strife of the past behind you. But, it basically up to YOU to do so. Sure, you could take advantage of this program, try to abuse it, and get what you can, while you can. But, does that really HELP you or make you MORE DEPENDENT on future aid? It takes hard work with a day-in and day-out disciplined commitment to succeed. In turn, by enabling yourself to get back on track, perhaps you could do the same for another. By helping others through the issues you have successfully resolved, you too can give back to the community. Lending a temporary hand to another can further enhance your sense self-esteem, emotional well-being, and control over your life situation.

If you are healthy, you already have 75% of what it takes to succeed in creating a meaningful experience in your life. But, that remaining 25% is ALL UPHILL, partner. Metaphorically speaking, you have to begin by training yourself in pacing your progress appropriately, thinking, planning, and organizing so that you can begin to CLIMB THAT HILL! Once at the top, you can find another hill to climb. There are plenty of hills to climb before your time on this Earth has ended. Sure there will be disappointments, rejection, unrequited love, pain, suffering, aging, disrespectful family members, crappy jobs, even crappier bosses, and some incredibly bad incidents that will be dished out to you. Fairness in life is not a given. But, how you deal with that unfairness is your measure of success. Beat it and you will succeed. One thing to remember during the struggle is: "Succeed at your own pace and don't compare yourself to others during the process". But, by all means, you must try to succeed. Mistakes have been made and will be made, just don't repeat them. Otherwise, you are not learning and LEARNING is PART of succeeding.

The staff of the El Puente Charitable Foundation may be able to boost you over some of the hurdles that are in your path as you climb your current "hill". But, you will have to inform us about what your "hill" is all about, what you are doing to climb it, what events have occurred that are preventing you from reaching the peak, and what specific aids you may need to get there. To that effect, a Benefit Recipient Application Form has been developed for you to describe in detail issues that you believe are affecting your ascent to your goals. On that form, applicants answer some questions, explain exactly what benefit/help is needed, and provide all the pertinent financial information and receipts that the staff uses to assess that need. Read it carefully, answer honestly, and provide detailed information. Use separate sheets where necessary. All your information will be held in strict confidence. You will be notified as to the condition of your benefit request status once all the required information has been gathered, evaluated, and a staff member contacts you. Also remember that there are many other people that believe it or not, are in a worse situation that you, especially during these tough economic times. So, don't be impatient or disheartened. Remember, patience is a virtue that will also help you reach your goal.....